Monday, July 20, 2015

Looking back at my MG RX-78-2 Ver. 3.0 build

Several years ago, when I was younger and didn't care much for the world, I always thought that the 1/100 Gundam X-Divider I made was already Master Grade. I thought the size was the gauge of this "grading system". I wasn't very much impressed by it, but I loved the build. It was the excitement of putting together very small pieces and slowly turning it into a poseable figure that really got me into plastic kits.

So every time I saw a MG kit, I always thought it was a simple build in a larger scale. But after research, I found out I was wrong. MG is more detailed than the No-Grade X-Divider I made before. In fact, it was more than twice the complexity of anything I had built before when it comes to Gundam. Kotobukiya's HMM not included.

So I decided to take the challenge of building an MG. What was all the fuss about with this grade of kit? I knew it was challenging, but will it be exciting to build?

I tried it out... My first MG build - The grandaddy of Gundams, the RX-78-2 Ver. 3.0!!!

That's the box, those are the first runners you'll be dealing with.

The first part is building the Core Fighter. Of course if you're planning to use the core block instead, feel free to skip the first part of the instructions. I didn't.

The built core fighter. I kinda mishandled the left wing, I think. It's become a floppy mess. :(

Tiny yellow vents! You don't need yellow paint to finish this kit!

So in MG, you rarely need to paint anything unless you want it to look super detailed, or if you want a customized design.
These foil stickers could be a pain in the a-- to place on those tiny elbow joint pieces!

Patience and holding your breathe helps!

Honestly, these foil stickers tarnished even before I finished the kit. So much for hard work!

Upper body done.

The amount of pieces for these legs alone may rival the parts count of  the simplest HG kit out there. But the color separation created after you finish it is reward enough.

The color separation I mentioned. Awesome!

Now going to the waist and crotch piece...

That yellow "V" piece is probably the smallest piece I've encountered with this kit. Don't sneeze and lose it, okay?

I need a clip for this one...

And a magnifying glass on a stand...

Success!
Moving on to test fit the parts...

Looks great!

Detaching parts again for panel lining. I used the GUNDAM MARKER Slushing Sumi-ire Pen (grey). 

This is what it looks like before clean up. I use either an alcohol-dipped cotton bud or an  eraser to clean up the excess.

Almost finished with the decals here...

Test shot of final kit. Just before I top coat it with matte...

From a side angle...

The back...

The shield...

Detached everything again for top coating. Funny how many times I assembled and disassembled this fella...

Stuck to the bottom of its own box via sticky tack and ready to be sprayed...

After spraying, it dulled the color a bit and removed the plastic luster. Just like I want it!

After finishing the kit, drink a cup of coffee! Good job! I've pat myself on the back and admired my creation.

So what do I think of Master Grades after this? It is awesome! If you find the HG kits boring, you can step up a few notches of complexity and jump in on the MG scale. You won't be bored. Hehe! Plus, it's great to see a very old design re-imagined into this ver 3.0. The amount of detail and attention given to this kit is mind-boggling. I wish Bandai will maintain this level of quality and detail on their MG kits. 

Coming up next...


The kit I've been eyeing for a very long time!

But I've already posted the finished Astray a few posts back. Hahaha! Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment